There are things that bring us all happiness in our lives.
It could be a quiet moment, or a few hours with a really good book. For some it could be a run in the woods, or a call from a good friend. For me, I can always use a good laugh, and luckily there is no lack of that in my life.
I was at the gym this week, doing my thing on the stair master & catching up on some (mindless but wonderful) magazine reading (this is one of my happy places). In this month’s issue of Canadian FASHION, there is a page dedicated to New Year’s Resolutions (after all, ’tis the season). On this page, a few celebrity clothing designers wax about their goals for the coming year.
There was one I read that particularly struck a chord with me (I love those moments).
“I want to create a ‘happy list’ and encourage my daughters to make their own. A happy list is a list of what quickly and easily puts a smile on my face, like a bubble bath. I will make sure to do at least one of those things every day.”
~ Rachel Roy
An amazing and simple concept, and one that can shockingly fall by the wayside all too easily sometimes. So in my own pursuit of more (happiness, purpose, substance), it strikes me that this all too simple idea simply must factor not just into the bigger picture of life, but into each and every day of my existence (I’ve personally been working on this for a long while).
So, if you’ll oblige, here are 12 things I would add to my daily ‘happy list’ – it amazes to think that these are actually at times hard to do. I’d LOVE to hear what would be on all of yours!
Here goes my 12 daily bits of happiness…
- A long run in the cold air
- An entire day or evening with my family ~ with all of my technology turned off & tucked away out of sight & out of mind
- A long walk with a loved one (or two)
- Giving something away
- A good meal on a truly hungry stomach
- Cooking in the kitchen with a favorite record on
- A glass of wine on the couch with my husband (love that guy) with a good record on
- An afternoon in the garden with my bare hands in the soil
- A hot cup of tea, and a moment to just sit still in the quiet
- A hot aromatherapy bubble bath (thanks Rachel)
- A few deep breaths
- A ride though the city on my old creaky bike (usually with the hubby ~ he makes me wear a helmet when I ride alone)
It seems so simple, but really the best things in life really always are. So that’s my list off the top of my head ~ what’s on the top of yours? 🙂
As we move into the final push of the Christmas season, I am struggling to feel as though I really need anything (I really don’t). Everything I really need is already right in front of me, or within me, and I just need to make them happen, every day. To me that is an empowering thought.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic ~ and thanks for reading, as always!
Yours in Less,